Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Just when you think......

A few months ago we took my son to be tested/registered for kindergarten. They didn't want him to attend this year due to some of his issues. We fought for him to attend. After all its the right of every kid to attend school because if we didn't send him you can bet your butt the school would be on our case. He has Sensory Processing Disorder. Some days it is tough to deal with him. I do want to clarify one thing. The school didn't want him to attend not because of his issues but because they didn't want to take the time out to teach him. They wanted me to send him to a pre school instead. Huge difference. Huge. That's why I fought so hard so he could attend. Over the last few weeks I have watched him struggle with writing,struggle with reading flashcards. Around Christmas time we thought maybe he was dyslexia. We asked the intermediate unit who tested him for other stuff. Their response? He's too young to test for that and they don't start testing until the kids are 7. That would be 3 years wasted. You would think they would test early just to rule it out. Whatever happened to "no child left behind"? UGH. Anywoo yesterday Bubby had an O/T appt(can you believe she called me up at 1:15 to see if she could meet with him at 2:15) and she was trying to get him to write the letters after she did. The same things we have tried with him and it doesn't work. She then tried to make the letter a little at a time and then he would repeat it. He was able to do it but still can't make the letter on his own. We were talking about this and we think his brain isn't telling his hand how to do it. I have said all along that I don't think he won't do it but he can't do it. We are now back at square one. I'm not sure what to do now. I need to find a place that can test him for this first. Hopefully after I get some sort of diagnoses we can figure out what to do. If I home school him I could forfeit his services thru the school. They already told me that I would loose the services if I sent him to a private school. The other option is to not send him to school and the county would continue to provide services for him but I would loose his speech services. The county doesn't think he needs it but the school says yes he does. I have to proceed carefully so he doesn't loose any services and figure out the best plan for him. I could really use some advice. If anyone has been thru this before or knows someone who has please comment.

I will be spending the rest of the day looking up laws of our state and different programs...


No comments: