Monday, November 21, 2011

Who knew a shoebox could mean so much......

Yesterday morning we were so late for church but we had a really good reason. Our church participates in the Samaritans Purse OCC. Otherwise know as Operation shoebox. They collect shoeboxes stuffed with items for children. They send them all over the country to children. I wanted something to teach my son how its better to give than receive. Our church did it last year but by the time I found out it was too late to bring a shoebox. The first thing you do is pick boy or girl. You can pick an age range. 2-4,5-9, or 10-14. We choose boy 2-4 so Bubby could choose the stuff to put in it. It's not as hard or expensive as it sounds. We choose toothpaste,toothbrushes, stuffed animal,coloring book and of course candy.

My 16 year old chose to do one for a girl 2-4. She choose chap sticks and stuffed animals and sticker books and candy.

My 20 year old saw us putting our boxes together on Sunday morning and decided she wanted to do one too. She and our 17 year old ran out to the store that sells everything and bought stuff to do two more boxes. That's why we were late. I think it was a pretty good reason to be late,right?


Imagine our surprise when we got to church and saw this. Excuse the quality of the pictures. I only had my camera phone with me. I actually had to take three pictures because I couldn't fit all the tables in one photo.



 Isn't God awesome? Planting the seed of giving to others who have nothing. Most of the items are things you and I take for granted. Some of the items are just basic things. Toothbrushes, soap, and washclothes. Imagine the smiling faces on Christmas morning. This year you can track your box on line and see what country it goes to. My kids are excited about that. I realize it's too late to do it this year but please consider it next year. Here is a link to the site with all the details. I would also like to say they do so much more then shoeboxes. They help provide clean water to villages. They also work with hospitals to help children get operations they otherwise would not receive in their on country. They are currently helping rebuild Haiti. Samaritans Purse is a Christian based organization that spreads the word of Jesus as they help people.

We also are thinking of giving to foster children. Does anyone have any ideas? Places that take donations? I can't seem to find anything on line.


3 comments:

Nicole said...

We did shoeboxes this year too. Look into Angel Tree. They give gifts to children whose parents are incarcerated. Those are great pictures! What an amazing response from your church!

Larissa T. said...

What a great idea!
Is this a legitimate reason to buy myself another pair of shoes...
probably not...maybe though?

burgmom said...

@ Nicole~ I forgot about the tree angels. We have done that in the past with my older kids. I'm so glad to hear other people do shoeboxes too.
@social lilac So true! Not that I need a reason to buy shoes. LOL.