Saturday, February 21, 2009

Old friends,Good times

I am so excited today. We are going to our good friends birthday party. Until two weeks ago I haven't seen him in almost two years. It doesn't mean we haven't talked in two years,just we haven't seen D in two years. Hubby and I have been friends with him since our early 20's. D and his 1st wife M and us had our first child at 19,20&21. I won't tell you how old we were when we first got married. I'm afraid you will pass out. How we all became friends is a funny story. D's sister Dolly's husband's sister went to a private Christian school with Hubby. Did I lose anyone on that? When Hubby and I bought our first house we lived five doors down from Dolly and Evan. So we got together a lot with Dolly, Evan and D&M. D&M understood everything we were going through. We were young,no money,hard working parents. Who else understands that bond? M and I became stay at home Moms and became even poorer. Just kidding. Summers were the best. She would bring her kids over to our house and we would have lunch and swim. Every day. Our husbands worked construction and worked long hours. M and I spent a lot of time being married-single parents. When you have small children close in age and doing it alone most of the time it gets to you. I guess I didn't realize how much it got to M until she told me she was leaving D. I tried to convince her to stay that it would get better. Give it time. In the end she did leave him. She took our friendship with her. We weren't the same after that. Oh we tried. It just didn't work. She moved a hour away and D remarried. He had another son. She moved in with some guy. We don't talk anymore to her. Really sad. That brings me today. I didn't realize how much I missed our friendship until D came over two weeks ago. So tonight we are raising our glasses to old friends,good times and NEW memories.

No comments: